Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hack your own email account...before someone else does (Part 3)

As you may recall, I decided I would try to hack my own Yahoo email account and see if Yahoo might try to notify me of the hacking attempts.

My first try took this form...

I tried to log into my account on 26 successive attempts, feeding passwords ranging from the single letter 'a' to 'z'.

Each time, I was greeted with a message saying the password was incorrect, but nothing beyond that.

I then logged onto my Yahoo account with the correct password, checked my email, and nothing---no warning that someone had tried to log into my account 26 times in succession with an incorrect password.

My second try took this form...

I tried to log into my account on 100 successive attempts, feeding the single letter 'a' as my password.

Each time I was greeted with a message saying the password was incorrect, but nothing beyond that.


I then logged onto my Yahoo account with the correct password, checked my email and nothing---no warning that someone had tried to log into my account 100 times in succession with an incorrect password.

I'm pretty much convinced now that Yahoo doesn't care if someone tries to hack your Yahoo account---no surprise, I guess, since I get so many spam emails from Yahoo accounts and followups from my friends saying they've been hacked.

Even if Yahoo had directed me to another page, that might make the job of hacking my account harder.

As it is, there's simply a message displayed that the password is incorrect, and I'm still on the log in page.

This will end my attempt to hack into my own Yahoo account.

My next attempt will be to try to hack my Google Gmail account---I suspect that will have better security.

Stay tuned for Part 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment