Saturday, December 1, 2012

Email of the week (December 1, 2012)

I just received this email from a fan of my Learn to Program with Visual C# book

Hello Mr. Smiley,

I recently purchased your book Learn to Program with Visual C# Express.
I know you've probably received many many Emails, letters, etc. saying thank you,
well here is another one... Lol.

I have read many many programming book in the last 30 years of my programming life.
But yours is so well done and was so great it was hard to put it down.  Most authors
write in a method that is so dry.  Your book was wonderful and engaging.  I enjoyed the
interaction with the students in the book.  You did a wonderful job of making me feel as
if I was part of the class. Thank you.  I hope all of the students from the class are doing well.

C# is not my first Visual programming experience.  But it is surely my favorite so far.

Anyway,  (Sorry to bore you) I was wondering if you have the C# intermediate class book published?

Sincerely,

Brad
Fort Worth, TX.

My Response...

Hi Brad

Thank you for your very kind email---I really appreciate it!

Actually, few people take the time to email me, but when they do it really makes my day!

Interestingly, I got the opportunity to write my first book when I emailed the publisher of a book I was using in my class to tell him how much I enjoyed using it, and offered a few suggestions to make it even better.

I don't have an Intermediate C# book that I've writen---I stick to introductory topics---but I can highly recommend the Murach C# book.

I'm currently using a Head First book in my HTML/CSS class, and I find the tone of the book (not dry, not too serious) to be very similar to mind. I'd recommend you check out the Head First C# book also.

As far as the students, the students in the book were based on actual students I taught at Penn State. Once in a while I'll hear from them, and I keep in contact with a few of them on Linkedin.

Thanks again for your email, and keep me posted on your C# progress.

John Smiley

-

No comments:

Post a Comment