Friday, December 14, 2012

Hack Yourself---before someone else does. Google Mail...

If you've been following my blog, you know that I've been intrigued lately by the notion of hacking my own email account.

I know it can be done by someone who really wants to do it---that's not the issue.

The issue is suppose someone I know: a friend, a not-so-friend, a neighbor thought it would be fun to try to guess my email password.

Surely my mail provider would let me know?

Or not?

It's been a few weeks since I last tried to hack my own Yahoo email account.

I was unsuccessful, but most importantly, once I successfully logged into Yahoo, Yahoo never once told me about the suspicious activity against my Yahoo account.

I guess Yahoo doesn't consider hundreds of attempts to guess my account password significant.

Perhaps this happens all the time?

I figured I would try one of my Google accounts---surely Google would be a bit more vigilant.

Well, my first attempts went this way---

Try to log into my Google account with a valid user id, but successively provide the letters 'a' through 'z; as password.

As was the case with Yahoo, all I received was a message indicating that my password was incorrect.

25 additional attempts with a bad password produced the same result.

When I logged in successfully, I anticipated that I might have an email in my Google email account indicating suspicious activity on my account.

I didn't.

My next attempt will be a bit more persistent---1000 attempts with a bad password.

Interestingly, this Google account I'm trying to hack is an account that I hadn't used in a while.

When I used it last week, Google prompted me for an alternate email address in the event my account became disabled or locked out.

So it does happen--but apparently not for 26 bad password entries.

More to follow :)


No comments:

Post a Comment